Thursday, September 3, 2009

The Underground Authors of Bishop Verot

My Fanfiction.net Profile - under penname "Feng Huang Yue"

A fact about me most people do not know involves my writing identity - for a few years now, I went 'underground', so to speak, delving into the massive online realm of fiction and fanfiction writing and reviewing. In order to mask my true identity for protection against potential youth predators or stalkers, and to follow in the tradition of taking on a unique pen name when writing, and I chose the title "Feng Huang Yue", a phrase roughly equivalent to "moon phoenix" in the Chinese language.

Why did I select such an odd title? For one, in legend and myths, especially pagan ones, the moon experiences rebirth each night, to give light to the darkness.

The phoenix, the legendary "firebird" of Egyptian and Chinese mythology, also associated with the Resurrection, salvation and hope for rebirth in Heaven after death, and Jesus Christ, symbolizes rebirth and restoration to health. Akin to the rebirth of Yue every night to bring light to a dark, despairing world, the phoenix, associated with the saving power of Jesus, also gives hope that, although men may die, they will experience rebirth and eternal peace, and provide a guiding light for the living to look forward to and follow.

Thus, I melded the two, and thus came into existence my pen name - Feng Huang Yue.

In accordance with my new pen name, I considered writing a way to spiritually liberate myself, to in essence 'rebirth' myself through my writing and through it, come to new levels of understanding, thought, and enlightenment through philosophy, speculation, and characterization.

Today I focus and direct much of my writing towards the Twilight saga, by author Stephenie Meyer, a graduate of Brigham Young University with a major in English Literature. Although better known for the contemporary fad centered around the books and movies, Twilight and its characters provide inspiration for my writing, and my efforts to improve my penmanship skills overall.

In addition to my own account, to which you might find the link to above, not only I exist to write such so-called 'fanfiction' at Bishop Verot. Recently joined in such efforts include sophomore Paula Weinman, who writes for J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter series under the pen name of 'Vanilla Parchment' - which one may find here.

Together, we form the Underground Authors of Bishop Verot - those who live to write, and yet do so with little or no knowlege of our peers, seeking to ascend to greater heights to perfect our writing skills and to publish original books of our own.

Check us out sometime!

2 comments:

  1. Amber - speak with Andrew F. - mrs. elmeer

    ReplyDelete
  2. While fan fiction is not my suit, I can certainly agree that writing is a liberation. For me, it means more along the line of social liberation. My character in person is much much different from my character in social settings unless you know me extremely well, so I feel I'm held to unfavorable expectations. True, sometimes I may get fed up with these expectations and become very very agitated at whoever it holding me against them, but for the most part I can be myself in my writing. If more peers would compare my voice in my novel to my voice in a social setting, I can't help but think they would be dropping their mouths wide open in surprise.
    I digress, though.

    Your pen name definitely provokes a reaction. I tend to appreciate Chinese myth and tradition as it feels more vibrant and otherworldly than western myths and traditions, and the phoenix has always been a favorite of mine.

    ReplyDelete